mnbccorrespondence

Leadership Attacks by MNBC Front and Center Once Again

(Vancouver, BC) The British Columbia Métis Federation (BCMF) founding President Keith Henry was once again attacked by old messages from Métis Nation British Columbia (MNBC) earlier today in an MNBC Media Distribution {ALL}.

Just when Métis people felt there was more than enough mud to be slung the MNBC, in a sign of complete desperation, released a disrespectful communication once more against the new founding BCMF President Keith Henry. The MNBC communication is full of speculation, allegations, and incorrect statements.

BCMF President Keith Henry stated; “I guess I should not be surprised to be attacked in such a manner. This says more about them and their character than me. Frankly there is nothing worthwhile to say to defend MNBC’s political attacks. The MNBC issues are created by MNBC leaders and management, not me. Let’s remember that it has been the MNBC themselves that have not properly addressed or answered anything regarding the former CCMC issues. The fact is that when the real questions of accountability get to be too much, they use these old style personal attack campaigns.

BCMF President Henry added; “Their descriptions of old advances that they approved to begin with have been resolved and paid in full. MNBC did not ask for repayment for a year after I left in September 2008 and decided only after the fact to collect when I and other started to ask questions. Once MNBC demanded repayment we began to address. Of course there was disagreement over the final number owed but we reached mutual agreement between legal counsel and it was paid in full by me. Now MNBC described this situation in another manner? Considering this board has overspent my almost 1 million in 2009-2010 and another $500,000 in 2010-2011 I wonder if they will repay money paid to them as individuals knowing full well there was not enough to cover these expenses? This is very unfair but as I said nothing surprises me anymore.”

BCMF President Henry further added; “MNBC leaders who authorized this communication really need to look strongly in the mirror and ask themselves what kind of values they have? They claim that the BCMF is a club, they make numerous personal attacks about myself as having to resign or be terminated, and so on. First the insinuation about inappropriate action with staff is absurd and my letter of resignation is attached along with the MNBC letter accepting my resignation. Please note that I never once disagreed with repaying the advance. I requested a process to finalize when I resigned in September 2008, MNBC disagreed at that time and MNBC never followed upon the repayment until a year later, it is that simple. Second to attack the BCMF as a club is unfair. Our members are growing each day because of this style of MNBC leadership. The fact is MNBC is a club themselves with about 6000 club members. Many today are leaving due to the inability of MNBC to communicate or demonstrate accountable leadership. There is nothing I can do about their inability to be accountable or transparent. Third they now make claims that BCMF uses the term insolvent and bankrupt. That is because they are insolvent according to their own admission. As of March 3st, 2011 the MNBC Debt Recovery Plan confirms a debt of 2.3 million. This means MNBC is insolvent to the tune of 2.3 million, This is not misinformation or self serving and the amount of insolvency as increased at a rate of almost $70,000.00 per month. That is fact and this type of management will lead to bankruptcy and any business person can understand that.”

BCMF President Henry concluded; “This is why the BCMF has taken shape. As the former CCMC there is no doubt that we were hard on the issues but we tried our best not to make personal attacks. Métis people are tired and frankly do not care of this internal fighting. Métis people want their leaders to address policies that affect their health, housing, child and family issues, employment, etc. Most importantly Métis people want Métis cultural support. Remember we offered solutions to the MNBC, including the call for their resignations, through documents such as the Blueprint Document and MNBC Debt Recovery Action Plan Year One. We tried to meet with MNBC and time and time again these individuals refused to be open or meet mocking the former CCMC who were MNBC citizenship card carrying individuals. Many of us judge good leadership by the ability to meet and resolve issues and MNBC has failed that test at each turn. MNBC uses these tactics against those who do not confirm to their thinking. Now they want people to believe their regional meetings will make a difference? As I have stated from the beginning it has been and continues to be MNBC that created the BCMF. I think MNBC excuses of not paying taxes on time, running debt, etc. are over. It is time for MNBC leadership to grow up and start accepting that they have failed their MNBC citizens with poor management, unethical leadership, and political manipulation. I can assure them and all Métis people that the BCMF will make progress and succeed. ”

For more information about the BCMF please go to visit the website at www.bcmetis.com. Remember to watch the next “Coffee Talk” online show live at 7:30 PM @ www.livestream.com/metis.

Media Inquires:

British Columbia Métis Federation

k.henry@bcmetis.com

1-778-388-5013

Downloads:

Click here to download this press release in PDF format. Click here to download the MNBC Communication. Click here to download Keith Henry’s MNBC Resignation Letter (2008). Click here to download the MNBC’s response to Keith Henry’s resignation letter (2008).

8 Responses to Leadership Attacks by MNBC Front and Center Once Again

1. BCMF Citizen July 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

I read the letter reporting that we are a bunch of cohorts, how unprofessional. This is a prime example why many of us Metis are changing our tune when it comes to supporting the MNBC. I have seen all I have to see out of the MNBC after this letter. The cutting up of cards is a statement that we as Metis do not accept this style of governance. They cannot sue us all!

2. Richard Lucier-larson July 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

I totally agree, MNBC R.I.P.
    If by some unfortunate chance the BCMF disappears , many of us will not rejoin the MNBC but step back from Métis politics and encourage our families to do likewise.
    I say this with sorrow as I was one of the founding members of the MNBC.
    This was not what we intended,
    The only hope we have for a grassroots driven Nation is to support the B.C. M.F.
    Richard Lucier-larson

3. Keith Henry July 7, 2011 at 8:08 am #

Appreciate the note and I received many calls, personal face book messages, etc of support after this unprofessional attack.

I have never stooped to their level and never will. I mean really does anyone of their supporters not read the MNBC Constitution if they truly believe in MNBC Governance? It states in Article 8 of the MNBC Constitution that “No Métis Citizen shall be subject to arbitrary or unlawful interference with their privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to unlawful attacks on their honour or reputation.”

We MNBC leaders have made this personal from day one and as I have said for 2 years they have tried to get me removed from boards, fired from contracts, etc. It never stops.

Regardless in my role as founding President of the BCMF I have not attacked them personally. I believe is an approach of hard on the issues but soft on the person. These people will still be Métis after they leave MNBC and I understand and respect this.

These people cannot answer real questions of accountability and it appears their strategy is to deflect by creating this impression of false enemies.

I have a lot of personal information about these people that I could have used all along but this is about the people and our needs, not leaders who cannot understand they have failed the people.

Unfortunately for MNBC leaders it is going to get a lot more interesting, that I can assure the Métis people of BC of.

Respectfully and again thank you to all!

4. Metis Citizen July 7, 2011 at 8:09 am #

What a unfortunate situation that MNBC resorted to writing this letter. For us that have lost confidence in the MNBC this letter serves the reasoning that our family members will also be writing our letters to voluntarily leave the MNBC. Our family is glad that we have an alternative.

5. Metis July 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

This is a disgusting letter. The BCMF is 100 times more pro-active then the MNBC is. It is in BCMF’s best interest to start new, and ignore all these slanderous statements. Upon your departure Keith I am wondering if you ever received your severance pay, quite obvious by the reply, which is forthcoming after leaving most organizations.

In BCMF starting a new there are a few major issues that this new organization should be aware of, and one is employment of family members. Keep the nepotism out of the BCMF, In specifically:

From the MNBC Guidebook:
    SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES

Ensure that any person hired at the MNBC is not placed in a:
    Reporting or supervisory relationship with a family member/relative;
    Position of potential financial collusion with a family member/relative;
    Position with a relative that could interfere with operational requirements.
    Consult with the Executive Director where appropriate.

Dave Hodgson Vice President Ministry of Employment & Training, Minister of ASETS and Children & Families

Colleen Hodgson Ministerial Director for Education Colleen Hodgson has now taken on extra responsibilities ofthe management MSEC and reports to Dave Hodgson.

Dan Pope-Gerald Pope and sister Peggy Olanski and RETC rep daughter of peggy- Penny MacDonald. Dan Popes wife was his executive secretary for a while.

Bob Trumbley and son- Dean Trumbley

Didn’t we have Laurel Katernick and Daughter Brittaney for a while.

Who is declaring who a club? Pot calling the kettle black for sure.

6. Metis in the North July 7, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

Yes, the more they write these letters the MNBC shows its true colors. Disgruntled employees, I seen a lot of pictures with Metis holding BCMF flags, elders, youth etc. I think MNBC sees they have a problem and has to attack people. Keep our professionalism and the BCMF will go far.

7. Keith Henry July 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

Dear Métis,

I will no longer answer questions about my situation after this response. I left MNBC in September 2008 after myself and current MNBC President Dumont and Vice President Hodgson had a major falling out. They hurled accusations and I was stunned at the time. I was so deeply hurt by people I had stood beside over the years. Have I made mistakes, of course I have and I have never been afraid to address these situations.

However, at that time given their actions I felt I would do everyone a favour if they did not want me there. I resigned asked for severance (one month for each year of service) and left about September 16th. I waited and waited for any information from MNBC as per my resignation letter. I assumed all would be well.

Only on October 3rd, 2008 did I get a response and ONLY after I sent an email to MNBC President Dumont; first that MNBC accepted my resignation and second they refused to give me any severance. It was unbelievable.

There is so much more to say but the simple answer is no I did not get one penny of any severance. I was not offered any process to deal with accusations at that time and considering I left because I felt it was in the best interests of all, I have been personally attacked time and time again.

The fact is they sent me my office items, most broken in October 2008. They have now taken cases against me for which I have spent almost $65,000.00 in legal fees;

Regardless I am still not mad, life has been good and as I have said from the start people will come to know these individuals in time. If there is one major lesson I have learned is that what goes around comes around.

I will comment no further now.

This is not about me, it is our our people and culture.

8. Earl Belcourt July 10, 2011 at 9:23 am #

The way you were treated sounds very familiar Keith. When the MPCBC Board, under Harley Desjarlais, discharged me as the Vice President in 2001 I went through the same treatment as you did and Hodgson was there as well. Sounds like he’s trained Dumont well.