Another MNBC Card Holder Says Good Bye

(Surrey, BC) This week yet another Mètis person has decided to publicly leave the Mètis Nation British Columbia (MNBC) as one of their MNBC citizenship card holders. The desire by Mètis people to continue to remove any association with the MNBC continues to grow in light of the continuing MNBC dysfunction.

Miss Donna Kondra lives is from the Lower Mainland and has been a recognized as an active Métis member with the Nova Métis Heritage Association for years. There is no denying her passion and care for her community and dedication to the Mètis people.

BC Métis Federation President Keith Henry stated, “I was touched this last week as I was able to join Donna and her family in supporting a family member dealing with a serious health issue. During the event she requested that I terminate her MNBC citizenship card because she no longer recognized the legitimacy of the MNBC to represent her or her family in an honourable fashion”

President Henry added, “Donna and I have debated the merits of belonging or not to the MNBC for some time. I know she did not make this decision lightly and she was supported by her very large family in this decision. It was clear that although she did not want to get in a political fight, she also recognized that by not taking action she could be seen as silently endorsing the ongoing issues at MNBC, which she clearly does not.”

BC Métis Federation President Henry concluded, “Thank you Donna for entrusting me to carry out your request. You now join hundreds of other Mètis people who want nothing more to do with the MNBC in light of so many MNBC issues. I have attached a copy of the cut up card and I know that Donna and her family will support mutual work at the BC Mètis Federation to rebuild responsible Métis governance in BC.”

Media Inquiries

BC Métis Federation

#300-3665 Kingsway, Vancouver, BC V5R 5W2
Office 1-604-638-7220
Cell 1-778-388-5013
Email k.henry@bcmetis.com

You can now follow BC Métis Federation President Keith Henry on twitter @keithhenryMetis

Downloads

Click here to download this press release in PDF format. Click here to view Donna Kondra’s Cut Up MNBC Card

8 Responses to Another MNBC Card Holder Says Good Bye

1. Kim August 28, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

Wow, this is a powerful endorsement for the BCMF. I know how strongly you felt about a united nation and were not happy witnessing a breakdown of the MNBC. You are a loyalist when it comes to family ties, be it immediate or extended and this act of dissolution of your membership clearly indicates you’ve lost all confidence in the MNBC, with no hope for a recovery. I’ve listened to people say that the infighting among the Metis nation is some of the worst they’ve ever witnessed, and that says something when you think of the deviant politicians. Let’s hope we can all come together for the common good of all our people.

2. Richard Lucier-larson August 29, 2012 at 7:59 am #

I agree Kim, with the addition of having a policy that insures this will never happen again.

Richard Lucier-larson

3. Tim St. Denis August 29, 2012 at 10:54 am #

“infighting among the Metis nation is some of the worst they’ve ever witnessed”
    I often ask myself why I am part of this negativity and the answer is always the same. I did not create this deficit and will not be bullied into submission for simply asking for accountability. If we do not clean up after ourselves no one else will. IMO

4. Earlene Bitterman August 29, 2012 at 11:47 am #

Congratulations Donna, Welcome aboard

I agree with you Tim, I cut up my card as well without any second doubts. When we ask for credibility we get a lawyer thrown at us, that was one of the biggest mistakes they could of made in regards to treating historical families with extended kinship’s across this province. It is even more disturbing to me that I used to work in the MNBC registry and quit after I seen how employees are treated without any Human resource implementation and fairness, and the how registry is not separate from the politics.

To cut up my citizenship with the MNBC does not imply that I stop becoming Metis, it just sends out a strong message that I do not believe in the politics that rules this organization, and you myz well say that it is the lawyers that guide the organization not the grassroots citizens.

Metis have a hard time being dictated to, specially by a corrupt organization. “We are The People that Own themselves”

5. s.daniels August 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Welcome Donna
    Its heartfelt when a long standing member of MNBC, can see that a change as to take place to continue on to rebuild our nation. I believe that a new Nation will rise from the garbage of lies and deceit that was served to us from MNBC. We get stronger with every new member that joins of their own free will. Our BCMF members have a voice and a opinion on any of our agendas. We do not run a dictatorship, like another organization ( MNBC )

6. jennifer lilley August 30, 2012 at 10:37 am #

I have somewhat of an idea what’s going on i am upset because it took me awhile to get my metis citizenship card now i need to know if there is other metis citizenship and where do i apply mnbc has all my family history records..what do i do now?

7. Keith August 30, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Good morning Jennifer,

This a choice you can make. The BC Metis Federation also has our provincial membership card and you can apply and have processed easily using our MNBC card as verification.

We understand this is a very tough decision for anyone but many of us are rebuilding a new provincial Metis governing organization under the BC Metis Federation.

However if you, or anyone else does this, please send a letter to MNBC to terminate your MNBC citizenship card and get all of your information back. Under federal privacy laws this is required by MNBC to comply within days once they have anyone’s notice. We have a template letter example on our website in the membership section for those who want to discontinue any relationship with MNBC.

This is very important to do as many are leaving MNBC but not terminating properly and getting their personal information back. I strongly urge against this.

Hope this assists and please feel free to ask any further questions.

8. Beverly August 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Welcome aboard Donna,
    God-bless you for your courage,to say enough is enough.
    Not one piece of paper can say who I am and when I leave this earth,I will be at piece,because I live my life with honesty.If they spend all our money frivously and thought they had an open chq book and not wanting to listen to community,then they can have it all.Take the debit with them too!!!

Honesty is what brought us all together.Every member of the BCMF wanted a voice and Louis Riel fought for us to do so.Whether it is the government or any other organization (MNBC) who thinks the people don’t have this right,will find us gathering in numbers to stand up and be accountable for their actions.
    The people have the power to make changes for our future,not board members at the Provincial Levels or Community Level.The whole governance structure has to change this time and forever.Lets make the Communities priority,so we can build a stronger and bigger Nation.We need honesty and accountable people,so come on board folks,lets do it together,