BCMF Membership Categories
The BC Métis Federation has three categories of membership: Full Member, Associate Member, and Honourary Member.
BCMF Full Member
The BC Métis Federation (BCMF) will recognize Full Membership upon proof of genealogy, going back five generations or 100 years. Full members are the only voting members, as well as the only members that are eligible to sit on the Board of Directors.
BCMF Associate Member
BCMF will recognize Associate Membership for:
- Spouses of BCMF members
- Friends of the BCMF
- Independent supporters who complete a BCMF membership application form but have not provided genealogical evidence to substantiate their Métis identification at the time of membership application
- Métis who do not have their genealogy complete may become associate members until a member has completed the necessary research to verify membership
Associate Members will not be eligible to vote at any BCMF general meetings and are not eligible to sit on the BCMF board of directors.
BCMF Honourary Member
BCMF will recognize Honourary Membership for:
- Such persons may be admitted by resolution of the membership at an annual general meeting
- Recognized friends of the BCMF by Order of the Sash presentation or extraordinary circumstance
Honourary Members will not be eligible to vote at any BCMF general meetings and are not eligible to sit on the BCMF board of directors.
BCMF Membership Fees
BCMF Membership Card
All BCMF Members will receive a BCMF Membership Card.
How to Complete Your Membership Application
The BCMF Membership Application package consists of four parts:
- Application Form
- Statutory Declaration Form
- Consent to Release Form
- Genealogy Diagram
BC Métis Federation is pleased to provide the following additional resource to assist your research and to prepare your genealogies for submission with your BC Métis Federation membership application:
Heather Hallett – Métis Red River Genealogist
- 143-3666 Royal Vista Way, Courtenay, BC, V9N 9X8
- Fees are negotiable on an individual basis
- 25 years experience
Please contact Heather directly should you have any other questions.
You must also submit 1 identical passport-style photo for use with your BCMF Membership Card. Photos must be from the mid-chest to just above the head and use a light coloured background.
You must complete and return all of the above documents along with your passport photo and payment before you will receive your BCMF Membership Card. Please make your cheque or money order out to:
- BC Métis Federation
Mail your documents and payment to the BCMF Head Office:
- BC Métis Federation
- Attention: Membership Coordinator
- 390 – 3665 Kingsway, Vancouver, BC, V5R 5W2
BCMF seeks to mutually recognize and partner with local communities in British Columbia to create a robust membership process that leads to strong community coherence and wellbeing for all its members.
As a locally derived process that is facilitated by the BCMF, membership is an expression of each community’s ability to define their own citizenship as an aspect of self-determination within the policy umbrella of a provincial organization. The membership process, therefore, is flexible, nuanced, and relational but based upon a community and provincial consensus that is unique to the Pacific Northwest.