Due to the wildfire situation in Kelowna, the second intake of Spark Métis has been moved to Fort St. John starting in September. Travel and accommodation subsidies are available for participants from outside of the area.
A skill building and employment support program for Métis aged 19-30.
Participants will earn while they learn, receiving training and certifications, as well as mentorship and job placement.
- Improve soft skills & general life skills
- Build self confidence
- Learn about current employment market
- Learn occupational skills through practical on-the job experience
- Gain short-term certificate training
- Learn about eligible tuition
- Learn about Métis culture and experience from Métis elders
- Receive supported transition into workplace experience
Earn While You Learn!
- BC minimum wage of $16.75/hour for the training weeks (30 hours per week) plus a $250 completion bonus
- Minimum wage or higher for the 11-week work placement plus a $500 completion bonus
- Additional financial assistance may be available for participants with child care or other expenses that would otherwise prevent them from participating
Who Can Apply
To be eligible for Spark Métis, you must meet the following criteria:
- Identify as Métis
- Are 19-30 years old
- Have been out of school or any training programs for a minimum of 6 months
- Have been out of work for 6 months or longer
- Ready to commit to 5 or 6 weeks of paid training and 11 weeks of paid workplace experience
If you meet those criteria, apply today!
Spark Métis training is available in Prince George & Fort St. John!
The training portion of the program is taking place in either Prince George or Fort St. John. The work experience portion of the program can take place in your home community or anywhere in BC that you choose to work.
- Training Dates: June 19 to July 21 (In Prince George)
- Work Experience Dates: July 24 to October 6
(Not restricted to Prince George! Work experience can happen in your home community or another location.)
- Training Dates: September 5 to October 6 (in Fort St. John)
- Work Experience Dates: Oct 9 to December 22
(Not restricted to Fort St. John! Work experience can happen in your home community or another location.)
Contact Us for More Information
If you have questions or need more information, reach out to Lana St.Hilaire, the Spark Métis Program Manager, at: